To get Windows 7/Vista to work with Samba follow the simple instructions below:
1. Open the Run command and type "secpol.msc".
2. Press "continue" when prompted by Vista.
3. Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
4. Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it.
5. By default Windows Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only".
Change this to "LM and NTLM � use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".
For Windows Home edition you will have to make the following changes in the Registry and then reboot:
1. Open the Run command and type "regedit".
Create the following DWORD value (if it doesn't exist):
And set its value to: