To get Windows 7/Vista to work with Samba follow the simple instructions below:
1. Open the Run command and type "secpol.msc".
2. Press "continue" when prompted by Vista.
3. Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
4. Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it.
5. By default Windows Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only".
Change this to "LM and NTLM use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".
For Windows Home edition you will have to make the following changes in the Registry and then reboot:
1. Open the Run command and type "regedit".
Create the following DWORD value (if it doesn't exist):
And set its value to: